She's Been Calling Me "Dude" & "Brother" - What Does It Mean When She Uses Friend Zone Language?
You've been talking to a girl you like for months. At first, everything seemed to be going well - you text back and forth, have great conversations, and really feel a connection growing. But lately, she's started calling you "dude" and "brother." Uh oh. Is this a sign you're about to be put in the dreaded friend zone?
What Does It Mean When She Calls You Dude or Brother?
There are a few possible meanings behind a girl calling you "dude" or "brother":
She's Comfortable With You
For some girls, words like "dude" and "bro" are just part of their everyday vocabulary. They use these terms for their close friends, both male and female. So her calling you dude could mean she feels comfortable around you and sees you as one of her good friends.
That's not necessarily a bad thing! Friendship is the foundation for many great relationships.
She's Putting Up a Wall
However, some girls use "dude" or "brother" when they want to create a little distance or put up a wall. Especially if she just started calling you these names recently, it might be her subtle way of friend-zoning you and trying to keep things platonic.
She's Not Into You Romantically
If a girl is attracted to you and sees potential for romance, she probably won't call you "dude" or "brother." These words clearly convey the message that she thinks of you as just a friend, nothing more.
So if she's suddenly using friend zone terminology, it likely means she just doesn't have romantic feelings for you. She wants to be buddies, not lovers.
Signs a Girl is Friend-Zoning You:
Aside from "dude" and "brother," here are some other signs a girl is putting you in the friend zone:
- She talks about other guys she likes or is dating
- She asks you for dating advice
- She says you're like a brother to her
- She only hangs out with you in groups, never one-on-one
- She avoids physical contact or flirting
- She takes days to respond to your texts
What to Do if You're Stuck in the Friend Zone:
Here are 5 tips for escaping the dreaded friend zone:
- Tell her how you feel. Be bold and let her know you want to be more than just friends. She might not realize you have romantic feelings.
- Flirt and break the touch barrier. Compliment her, tease her playfully, and gradually get more handsy. Subtly shift the dynamic from platonic to sexual tension.
- Make her jealous. Start dating other girls and talk about them in front of her. It could make her see you as a sexual prospect rather than just a buddy.
- Pull back. Stop always being available and build scarcity and mystery. She can't miss you if you're always around.
- Accept it. If she still only sees you as a friend, respect it and move on. Don't stick around hoping she'll change her mind.
If the girl you've been talking to suddenly starts calling you "dude" and "brother," there's a good chance you're being relegated to the friend zone. But don't lose hope! Use these tips to reframe the relationship and get out of the dreaded friend zone once and for all. With a bit of finesse, you can turn a platonic "bro" into a romantic boo.